Bali Biomimicry Expedition
EXPLORE nature through the lens of biomimicry in truly magnificent wilderness
December 16-22, 2016
Join Imaginature and Pure Immersions on the magical island of Bali and discover the genius of nature - from mountain summit to sea.
A week-long biomimicry expedition in a truly magnificent & unique wilderness around West Bali National Park. Explore the genius of nature amongst the natural wonders of Bali and it's diversity of volcanoes, forests, mangroves and coral reefs. Be guided through the expedition by Biomimicry Professional, Claire Janisch, and Life Scientist, Dan Schreiber plus the profound knowledge of local guides and local expert biologists.
From Summit To Sea
In a remote corner of tropical Bali exists a diverse world of beauty – a "summit to sea" landscape of rainforest, monsoon forest, mangroves, beaches, seagrasses, and coral reefs. This biomimcry retreat is a journey into the depths of these places; a chance to see and understand the life here through new eyes and to integrate more fully into the beingness of this planet, so that we may understand ourselves and the world around anew. From the giant banyan, through the cacophony of birdsong, into the electric vibrance of the reefs – this is a retreat into the wilds, to (re)connect with the genius of nature, and to (re)imagine the future of our world.
Biomimicry is an approach to innovation that seeks sustainable solutions to human challenges by emulating nature’s time-tested patterns and strategies.
This is adventure of discovery, appreciation and inspiration.
ABOUT West Bali National Park
Un-spoilt beauty lies at the west end of the fabled island of Bali: lush green forests, picturesque mountain range, crystal clear blue water, and vast stretches of pristine beaches, that is what awaits you at the West Bali National Park.
This national park, also known as Bali Barat National Park covers 19,003 hectares of the western tip of Bali, with a further 580 square kilometers of protected reserve in the highlands to the east. In total this accounts for some ten percent of Bali's total land area.
The natural vegetation in the park includes tropical rainforest, coastal savannah and extensive mangroves. There are more than 200 species of plants in the park. Local fauna includes black monkeys, leaf monkeys and macaques; rusa, barking, sambar, Java and mouse deer (muncak); and some wild pigs, squirrels, buffalo, iguanas, pythons and green snakes. The bird life is prolific, with many of Bali’s 300 species found here, and is the last refuge of the extremely rare Bali starling.
The park has excellent snorkeling and diving at Menjangan Island. In fact, Menjangan is arguably Bali’s best snorkeling and diving location: you can float over coral gardens of brilliant blues, greens and pinks and spot a vast array of marine life by boat - you may even see dolphins. The Java’s volcanoes in the distance provide an impressive backdrop to the lush scene.
What to Expect
- Explore the genius of nature from summit to sea through guided experiences and deep observation activities: including forest walks, mangrove explorations & snorkeling coral reefs
- Guided by Professional Biomimic, Claire Janisch and Earth Imagineer, Dan Schreiber, assisted by local experts who will share their extraordinary knowledge from the practical to the profound
- Learn from (rather than just about) local organisms and ecosystems
- Learn and/or expand on the basics of biomimicry (systems) thinking and practice
- Discover the implications of the deep patterns in nature from the micro to the macro
- Work together to apply your creative imagination to relevant design challenges, translating your discoveries to the re-imagining of our world
- Spark the kind of passion that propels you towards an inspired and creative life
- Soak up the magic of Bali in the natural wonders of Bali’s largest national park
- Be nourished by Bali’s delicious food, daily yoga and the wonderful Balinese hospitality at
Excludes: flights, travel & medical insurance, items of a personal nature, additional beverages.
If you have any questions about the expedition, nature’s genius and/or biomimicry -
WHO SHOULD JOIN THE EXPEDITION?
- Anyone interested in exploring a magnificent wilderness and the genius of nature (guided by experienced biomimics, earth imagineers, and local experts) on the magical island of Bali.
- Tourists of all ages wanting an understanding and deeper appreciation of nature’s web of life.
- Individuals, designers, engineers, biologists, ecologists, architects, entrepreneurs, economists, gardeners, healers, organisations or businesses wanting to explore the genius of nature in depth to inspire innovation, creativity, a deep reconnection to the genius of nature or a deep appreciation of resilient, sustainable systems that nurture life.
- Existing biomimicry practitioners, specialists, professionals, researchers educators or students who want to expand their practice and deepen their (re)connection with nature.
YOUR EXPEDITION GUIDES & HOST:
ABOUT THE RETREAT VENUE & ACCOMMODATION
Mimpi Menjangan Resort
This beautiful resort is perched above a sacred hot spring, adjacent to West Bali National Park and the famous diving site of Menjangan island, arguably Bali’s best snorkeling and diving location.
The resort is uniquely set to shore on a secluded bay of Banyuwedang with high-ceiling marble rooms, thatched-roof villas, pools, a thermal spring, a floating restaurant, spa, yoga classes and dive center linked through limestone pathways winding beneath tropical trees with a stunning natural backdrop.
The region it is located in belongs to Northwest Bali locally called Buleleng which covers most of Bali’s north coast, with its capital city Singaraja. The ride from Bali’s international airport will take approximately 3.5 hours through one of Bali’s most photographed landscape in the highland of Bedugul.
For more information on Mimpi Menjangan Resort see here.
- Dates: 16-22 December, 2016
- Location: Mimpi Menjangan Resort, West Bali National Park, Bali
- Cost: $1,995 Early Bird price until 31 August 2016 (shared room) or $2,350 Private room. After Aug 31, shared room is $2195 and private room is $2550.
- To Book: email brad(at)pureimmersions.com
- Questions about the expedition, nature’s genius and/or biomimicry:
email claire(at)imaginature.co or fill out our online form here.
Included in the expedition:
- Collection from Ubud (at a central location to be confirmed)
- Return transfer to Mimpi Menjangan resort
- Accommodation, all meals and some beverages at Mimpi resort
- Nature walks and snorkeling with local guides and specialist biomimicry guides
- Practical biomimicry training and activities exploring the genius of place
- Groupwork mentoring on relevant design challenges
- *Does not include: flights to Bali, travel & medical insurance, items of a personal nature, additional beverages.
Still have some questions?
Drop us a line and we'll be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Book Now & Save!
Choose full payment or choose to only pay the deposit now.
MORE ABOUT DAN SCHREIBER
Daniel Schreiber is Life Scientist, Systems Permaculturalist and Designer. Born in South Africa, he studied Life Sciences at Cape Town university majoring in Zoology and Marine Biology. Having worked in media, design and art in South Africa and London, he moved to Byron Bay, Australia in the early 1990s to live in the subtropical rainforests of the northern rivers as a landscape and water gardener. His love of plants, gardens and living systems inspired him to begin Starseed Gardens in 2003 with the design quest from Bill McDonough of ‘How do we love all the children of all species for all time?’ Starseed Gardens is the home of plant-human culture and the nurturing of harmonic relationships: Showcasing eco-systems of perpetual renewal, alternative bio-technologies, permaculture, thriving community and culture. Starseed’s integrated vision of a holistic future is the centre of “beyond sustainable” eco-development in the Byron Shire. Starseed Gardens Workshops unleash the creativity & knowledge of the crowd to develop scalable solutions for a sustainable future. Dan’s passion for pristine eco systems with their synergistic and symbiotic custodians has led to the foundation of ‘EarthEd School’ at Starseed Gardens which continue to showcase these living technologies and ancestral wisdoms to demonstrate modern harmonic stewardship models. Dan has spent some time with ethnobotanists in Bali and has much to share on the wisdom and genius of the place.